Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Easter Sunday

We left California right after church on Sunday, steeling ourselves for the six hour drive home to Arizona. Our trips are usually pretty uneventful. Our children travel fairly well and don't usually complain much. This would be a typical trip like the many we had taken before...we would be home by bedtime.

Or would it?

Somewhere just outside of Indio, right near Desert Center, where the two lane highway that is the I10 cuts through the desert like a knife, a tanker truck crashed. Witnesses say that the truck was swerving for quite awhile before it crashed. The truck caught on fire. Witnesses say some people tried to rescue the driver. I never did get a reliable source of what really happened and if any other vehicles were involved despite multiple internet searches. I heard there was one fatality. I assume it was the driver of the truck but I don't know that for a fact. I assume he died in the crash or pursuant fire but he could have had a heart attack before that causing him to swerve and crash. It seems like a pretty important story to me, and yet it barely made the local news. Someone died this Easter Sunday and it barely made the local news.

Do you think the news of Christ's death on the cross would have made the news if it happened today? Would there be protesters lined up in scores begging the government to change their minds? I'd like to think so, but that wasn't the case then and somehow I don't think we'd do much better now. Three days later the angels appeared to the women at the tomb with a question. "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen!" That terrible death so long ago did not end up in the local news but instead became the Good News...Christ has conquored death, what is left to fear?

We ended up sitting on the freeway for over an hour. I found myself praising God for the blessed invention of a DVD player that works in the car! People were out of their cars, talking to each other, calling people on cell phones trying to find out what was going on. They were seeking the truth about what happened.

How ferverently do we seek out the Truth? The truth of God's Word, of His amazing love for us, of His grace and His Mercy? Don't stand out on the highway looking for a truth that you may never find, even with internet search engines...Look for the Truth that conquers death and brings you life, just as He did so many years ago on Easter Sunday.

1 comments:

Amy Wallace said...

Well said, Sally! What an amazing parallel you drew between the experiences of your drive home and the message of Easter.

Great reminder to keep looking for Truth!

Amy