Every year, in my birthday month, I have an annual exam...I hope you all do too...prevention is the best defense against a myriad of ills. I have to admit though, I dread these exams with all of my being. I had one abnormal scan 11 years ago when I was in college and since then the dread of that bad report looms over me every year.
It just so happens that March is my birthday month and I just got home from this exam. It wasn't as horrible as I worked it up to be...it never is. In my head though, I turn this hill into a mountain every year without fail...for no good reason at all.
I was thinking (while I was nervously waiting in the doctor's waiting room) about how diligently we take care of our physical bodies, but when was the last time you had a spiritual check-up?
When was the last time you took inventory of your spiritual well being?
Cancer can grow undetected for years before it shows external symptoms. Spiritual cancer can grow as well, and we may not even know it's there! The awesome thing is that spiritual cancer has a cure! Jesus Christ came to into this world to provide us that cure.
So take a moment to reflect on your Spiritual health...
Are you reading God's Word on a daily basis? If not, why not? Chances are it's an excuse... so just get over it...God is and needs to be our #1 priority in life...His Word is His love letter to you, His guidebook for your life. You won't know which way to go unless you read it!
How's your prayer life? I know a lot of my prayers are quick "help, God" kind of prayers shot up in the midst of raising four kids, but I've realized more and more I need to take time to talk to my heavenly Father, and more importantly, I need to take time to listen. Put it in your dayplanner...if you fail to plan then you are planning to fail! Make a date with God and keep it!
Have you hidden God's word in your heart? I know, I know, I just can't memorize anything, I don't have the time, my memory's no good...blah blah blah...I've said it, you've said it...get over it. We need to hide God's word in our heart so that at the proper time God can bring it to mind to help us, guide us, or give us the words to help another. Don't look at it like you have to memorize something, just write a verse out on an index card and read it or, better still, rewrite it once everyday. You'll be surprised how quickly you will have that scripture in your heart! It's that easy!
And the kicker...How is your fellowship with other believers? Do you attend a good bible believing, bible teaching church on a regular basis? Are you in and out on Sundays or do you connect with people? Are you involved with a small group of likeminded people who can hold you accountable? Do you serve in some way...giving back a small portion of the amazing Gift that has been given to you? God did not create us to live on an island all alone...we need to be around other believers.
If any of these things are "out of whack" you may need a visit to the Great Physician who tells it like it is and loves you no matter what.
So, how are you doing? Is it time for a check-up?
Friday, March 04, 2005
Is it time for a check-up?
Posted by Sally Datria at 2:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks, Sally! That was great.
Thanks, Sally! That was great.
Post a Comment