Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The Baby needs a Bath.

This is a devotional I wrote for my best friend's baby shower. We actually had a baby "bath" and included bath items for mom and baby and diapers. It was a lot of fun. It made me incredibly nervous, actually, I'm not good at throwing parties...thus the reason I've never been very good at Mary Kay or Creative Memories or any of those other types of business.
*********

Why a BABY BATH??

What do I think of when I think of a new baby boy coming into our lives?

I think of dirt.

I think of skateboards and basketballs and bruised knees…

I cannot help but think of a certain little boy who came to me once crying because his nose hurt, and when I asked him why, he tearfully replied “I put a stick up it!”

They say that Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails…that’s what boys are made of….
And it’s true!

Boys love anything messy, anything they can touch, feel, play with, or better yet taste! No matter how disgusting!!
Boys love to experience life with every ounce of their being…What a wonder! What a blessing!

There is a new wonder and blessing coming into your life soon and as we take a moment to celebrate that wonderful life we might wonder what this little creature will be like…
He’s already given us a few scares…and there may be more, I don’t know one of your children who hasn’t visited the ER at least once.
He’s already given us joy.
He’s already been an answer to his daddy’s prayers.
He’s already given us love.
Soon he will be giving us cuddles and kisses…and we can’t wait.

You have given him a strong name.
Michael – Who is like God
William – Valiant protector
And our prayer for him is that he will fill those shoes. That he will be a Valiant protector of the faith that you and David so amazingly live out everyday of your lives. That he will be like our loving Father who loves us with an everlasting love.

So, someday, in the not so distant future, when Michael comes in from the backyard covered from head to toe with mud (and he will) stop for just a minute to remember that he, who is like God, was pausing to consider the wonder of creation and exclaim with enthusiastic gusto “IT IS GOOD!!”

And then you can throw him in the tub!

1 comments:

Amy Wallace said...

Oh, Sally, that's beautiful! I bet the whole place teared up. I did!

What a great best friend you are, and what a blessing to get to share in the joy of a baby shower/bath I would have enjoyed attending.

So glad you are blogging! This devotion did my heart good. ;-)

Amy