
(or why you shouldn't let your kids play the games that give out penny goldfish as prizes!!)
Soooo...Friday night was our school's Harvest Festival. Each of the teachers had to create booth with a game or food or something. I was no exception. I was face painting and feeding chocolate to the many attendees of this great gathering. While I was so occupied my children were generally running amuck with their tickets.
One of the booths was a fishing booth.
They were giving out goldfish as prizes.
My son came to my booth proudly displaying his catch...to which I exclaimed rather loudly..."no, no more pets, no more!!" (We have a dog, two cats, and a mouse already...all of which came to us as hand me downs or orphans...)
Well, as a teacher I had to stay to the bitter end to clean up. So did my kids. Before I knew it my kids were the proud owners of not one...not two...but ELEVEN goldfish!!!!
SIGH!!!
We brought them home and put them in a large vase. I went to Wal-mart and bought goldfish food. I warned my kids that fish like this don't usually live very long.
The next morning we had our first porcelain funeral. We were down to ten.
Last night we lost seven more. Down to three.
Today, after school, two more had bit the dust. Down to one.
Tonight we had our final flushing...and I get my vase back.
My kids swear they loved them while they were with us...and they can't wait until next year so they can get some more fish....
I think next year I'll give away drumsets as prizes!!!
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
The Great Goldfish Drama!!
Posted by Sally Datria at 9:33 PM
Labels: orphan pets
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I cannot get rid of the ones that DS 4 won at the fair in February! I paid $2 to win them...$75 to keep them and they are thriving! Suffice it to say I'd be happy to host a porcelain service!
Glad you have your vase back!
:-) Susan
Maybe the trick is to only spend $2 to keep them!! I think it had to be the water but I used de-clorinator in it...I don't know, that or the kids fed them to death!!
I know what you could give away....Books! ;-)
Just kidding.
But I'm not kidding that you won a book! Check out my blog and see... then email me. ;-)
Post a Comment