SPOILER WARNING - If you haven't seen Disney's new movie The Gameplan don't read this...I might ruin it for you!!
Tonight we treated our kids to a movie and took the kids to Disney's "The Gameplan." It was a GREAT movie!! We laughed louder than I have at a movie in a long time, and we cried...for awhile I had Sarah in my lap telling her, "it'll be okay, honey, it's a Disney movie, they always have a happy ending" and it was true...it had a happy ending and all was well, everybody wins, and we all wiped away our tears.
On the way home, however, we got into an interesting conversation which caused me to pause. You see...in this movie the little girl's mother dies and that's why she ends up with dad, not that he knows that for most of the movie. Isn't that what happened to Bambi?? And Nemo?? Who's the writer in the Disney movie house that's got a thing against mothers?? Who starts the conversation?? "Hey, we need a new Disney movie...let's off a mom, send the kid to live with dad, and all will end up happily ever after...works every time, right??"
EXCEPT for MOM!! She's still DEAD!!
And let's think about this...Did Ariel have a mom?? Cinderella was an orphan but not before Dad made a really bad decision and remarried. Snow White was another victim of an evil stepmother after her mother dies in childbirth...obviously, these dads have bad taste. Aladdin? Dad took off, mom died. Jasmine? She doesn't have dear old mom around either. Belle? No mom. Hunchback? Orphan. Mowgli? Orphan.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention, as my kids pointed out to me as I was bemoaning the demise of all the Disney Princesses moms that not ALL the Disney character's moms die. In 101 Dalmations, for example, or The Incredibles, mom managed to stay alive.
Still...to all you Moms out there...if your child dreams of someday being a Disney Princess (or Bambi) watch out...your days are numbered!!
Sunday, September 30, 2007
Look Out Moms...Disney's got it out for you!!!
Posted by Sally Datria at 10:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Now THAT's an interesting perspective!
Post a Comment