Saturday, June 10, 2006

Umm...Mom? There's a problem...

These were the words I heard...but let me back up a bit.

It was right after school, with only a few days left in the school year I was exhausted with end of the year parties and preparation. I was home with only my two youngest...ages four and seven. I did what all good working moms do when they need a break...

I set them in front of the television so I could find a few minutes of peace and quite while I looked through my mail in my bedroom.

That's when it happened...My seven year old came into my room with a slightly panicked look on her face. "Umm...Mom? There's a problem. There's smoke all over the kitchen!"

Needless to say I ran to the kitchen and boy, was she ever right!! There were also flames in the microwave!! I yelled for her to grab her little sister and go out the front door and wait for me. Amazingly, under pressure, she obeyed immediately. I opened up the microwave door and the flames went out, to see three very charred pancakes on one very melted plastic plate!! I grabbed a towel and then grabbed the plate and took it outside and threw it on our b-b-que...and went in to open up all the windows and doors and turn on every fan in the house. Do you know how aweful smoke from melting plastic smells? No? Then come on over because I'm not sure I will EVER get that smell out of my house!!

Turns out the four year old was trying to warm up pancakes (left over from my end of the year pajama party at school) and she punched in what she thought was 10 second and turned out to be 10 minutes!! I am NOT...for those of you wondering...in the habit of letting a four year old use the microwave alone! I DO let her push the buttons when I use it so she thought she had it handled...and I did, after all, tell them not to come bug me until their show was over unless it was an emergency...pancakes are apparently not and emergency until they are burning!! LOL!!

All's well that ends well I suppose but boy, oh boy, that was an adrenaline rush for the day. If anyone has any thoughts on getting the smell out of my house let me know!!

  Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Amy L. Roland said...

OH, SALLY!!!
The picture is the funniest part!
My kids did the same thing last year, but they were heating up a left-over taco from Taco Bell and left it in the tinfoil wrapper!

Fear not...the smell does go away.

Eventually. ;>)

Sally Datria said...

I've never been so glad to be a Gold Canyon Candle Rep in my life!! I'm burning those yummy smelling candles 24/7!! It helps...a little. The microwave still smells like burnt plastic but my mom gave me a tip. Leave a bowl of vinegar in the microwave...it absorbs the smell or something. It's working I think!!